Homemade Coconut Milk
I’ve become completely addicted to this homemade coconut milk. It's much tastier and lighter than the canned coconut milk, and brilliant in Golden milk, smooties, and homemade shampoos - and it only takes ten minutes to make it.
Try this: Blend 1 cup of coconut milk with 1 sliced frozen banana, a ripe avocado, 1 tsp. honey and the juice of ½ lemon. Yum-yum. Healthy, detoxifying and tastes like candy.
- Jelly strainer or nut milk bag
- Sealed jar or bottle or in a jar with clip fastening. I use these Italian Bormioli bottles, which I bought on Amazon - 6 pcs. for about £23.
- 4 cups of water
- 1.5-2 cups of unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Heat water, but don't boil. It should be hot, but not scalding
- Put coconut in blender or Vitamix and add water. (If all water won't fit, you can add the water in two batches.
- Blend on high for several minutes until thick and creamy.
- Pour through a mesh colander first to get most of the coconut out, and then squeeze through a towel or several thicknesses of cheesecloth to get remaining pieces of coconut out.
- If you have to split the water, put all the coconut that you strained out back in the blender, add the remaining water, and repeat.
- Drink immediately or keep it in a sealed bottle or in a jar with clip fastening.
The coconut milk will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Shake before each use.