Why You Should Start Oil Pulling
This post contains affiliate links. You can read about my affiliate policy here.
WHAT IS OIL PULLING
Oil Pulling is an ancient technique that uses oil in the mouth to draw out the toxins in the body - it's an oral detoxification method, so to speak, which in particular has been used in the Ayurvedic medicine. Oil Pulling is simply done by swishing a tea- or tablespoon of oil around in the mouth for about 20 minute (less will do too).
This simple oral detoxification method that long has been highly recognized in natural health circles to cure everything from gum disease to headaches to hormonal imbalances, has now also garnered appreciative nods from the more conventional science.
Contents in this blog:
ME AND MY set of teeth
WHY YOU SHOULD do OIL PULLing WITH COCONUT OIL
The mouth - body connection
Five Other benefits of Oil pulling
How to do oil pulling
1. ME AND MY set of teeth
I paid a brief visit to Egypt in January where I didn't have access to my normal organic stuff, where I drank water from BPA-filled plastic bottles and showered daily with slightly chlorinated water. To many this might not be noticed much, but my sensitive body immediately reacts to extra toxins and most often a light toothache in my upper right molars and the gums there is one of the expression of that. I didn’t have access to quality coconut oil either (only a perfumed one from the local bazaar, which I daren’t put in the mouth), and my regular tooth brushing and flossing didn’t relieved much, so I just had to live with my little toothache. As soon as I got home I resumed my oil pulling routine and organic diet, and in less than a week my gums were bright, nice and happy again. So for me there is a clear correlation between my oral and my physical health.
2. WHY YOU SHOULD do OIL PULLing WITH COCONUT OIL
The mouth is one of the most absorbent places in your entire body and the first gateway to every system in your body. This is why some medications are administered sublingually or under your tongue and the reason why oil pulling is so effective.
There are only good arguments to why you should keep your mouth as free of bad bacteria, pathogens and toxins as possible and oil pulling with coconut oil is especially effective to do that.
Unrefined cold-pressed coconut oil (virgin) cleanses just as soap, it’s antibacterial, antiviral and may inhibit the bacterium Streptococcus mutans - the chief bacteria responsible for cavities.
Coconut oil also protects against yeast infections in the mouth, generally referred to as thrush. This condition is more common if your immune system is compromised, or may be experienced by infants and nursing mothers.
Furthermore. Coconut oil contains Lauric acid. Lauric acid is also found in abundance in human breast milk and converts to a substance called monolaurin in the body. Monolaurin have strong anti-viral properties, are effective in the treatment of fungal infections, and can boost the immune system.
3. The mouth - body connection
Your oral health has a profound systemic effect on your physical health. Your mouth can be viewed as a window to your health as you can easily assess the health of your gums and soft tissue.
The mouth is our natural opening for nutrients, but also the entry for pathogens and toxins and recent research demonstrates oral infections are linked to diabetes, dementia, chronic kidney disease, chronic inflammations, cardiovascular disease and some premature or low birth weight deliveries.
Bacteria that builds up on teeth make gums prone to infection. The immune system moves in to attack the infection and the gums become inflamed. The inflammation continues unless the infection is brought under control.
Over time, inflammation and the chemicals it releases eat away at the gums and bone structure that hold teeth in place. The result is severe gum disease, known as periodontitis. Inflammation can also cause problems in the rest of the body.
A few examples
Inflammation that starts in the mouth seems to weaken the body’s ability to control blood sugar. High blood sugar provides ideal conditions for infection to grow (source).
Diabetes: Chronic high blood sugar level is the foundation for developing type 2 diabetes, in addition, people who already have diabetes have trouble processing sugar because of a lack of insulin, the hormone that converts sugar into energy. Periodontal disease further complicates diabetes because the inflammation impairs the body’s ability to utilize insulin.
Heart and blood vessels: Up to 91% of patients with heart disease have periodontitis - often because of smoking and / or poor diet, but there are also theories that inflammations in the mouth causes inflammation in blood vessels, which increases the risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.
Pregnancy: many factors can contribute to premature or low birth weight deliveries, researchers are looking at the possible role of gum disease. Infection and inflammation in general seem to interfere with a fetus’ development in the womb and hormonal changes during pregnancy can increase a woman’s risk of periodontitis.
Bones: Osteoporosis and periodontitis have an important thing in common, bone loss. Though a link has not been well established, some studies have found that women with osteoporosis have gum disease more often than those who do not. Researchers are testing the theory that inflammation triggered by periodontitis could weaken bone in other parts of the body.
4. Five Other benefits of Oil pulling
When you remove toxins at source (mouth) before they get a chance to spread it reduces the amount of toxins in the body drastically, which has advantages such as:
- INCREASES ENERGY. Removing the noxious culprits in the first instance by oil pulling lowers the amount of work our body has to do to function, which leaves us feeling a whole lot better.
- AIDS HORMONAL CHANGES. Without having to compete with foreign substances, hormones can behave as they should, functioning to their best ability without being thrown off balance.
- REDUCES HEADACHES. When the body is under toxic stress, headaches and migraines occur. By eliminating bacteria from the body via oil pulling, headaches can be avoided.
- KEEPS THE SKIN CLEAR. Removing toxins from the body that would otherwise make it into the bloodstream means the skin has a chance to shine. Rashes and skin issues often reduce dramatically, or even clear up completely, when oil pulling.
- WHITENS TEETH. The oil’s natural antibiotic and antiviral properties brighten and clean teeth, keeping them pearly white.
5. How to do oil pulling
Normally you just do it with coconut oil with perhaps a few drops of essential oil, but to maximize the healing effect on both body and teeth I add some raw cocoa powder.
What you need:
- 1,5 tsp. organic virgin coconut oil
- 1-2 drops of peppermint and/or tea tree essential oils for maximal antiseptic and antifungal power (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. raw organic cocoa powder (optional)
- A Tongue Cleaner (optional)
Like most detoxification things the best time to oil pull is first thing in the mornings - I do it though when I'm in the shower.
- Before I hit the bathroom I dig a teaspoon into a jar of pure coconut oil and top it with a few drops of the essential oils and cocoa powder.
- I place the oil mixture UNDER my tongue to melt there - because if I start by placing a cold lump of coconut oil on top of my tongue it tends to trig the vomit reflex,,,
- When the oil has melted I begin to gently swish the oil mix around my mouth and between my teeth for 10-20 minutes (or less if I'm busy) making sure that I don’t swallow any of the oil.
- Against any plumbers recommendation I spit out the oil - which both makes the floor slippery and can clog the drain - so I recommend off course that you spit the spent oil in the trash rather than into the sink. If you do spit into the sink though make sure to rinse under the running hot water tap.
- Immediately after I've spit it out I rinse my mouth out with warm water.
- Don’t be shocked if the oil/saliva mixture you spit out is milky white or yellow.
- This is also a good time to use a tongue scraper to remove the white or coloured coating on the tongue.
- Finally, brush your teeth as normal.
About the other ingredients:
Organic raw cocoa powder contains the substance theobromine, which in addition to being antibacterial, also adds minerals and is very effective in treating small holes and plaque.
Peppermint oil has a disinfectant, soothing and relaxing effect. It increases the flow of calcium into the muscle cells.
Tea tree oil is antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, mild local anesthetic and possibly antiviral.