Golden Milk Shroom - The Drink That'll Get You Safe Through Winter
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
This is a powerful healing and delicious drink with medicinal mushrooms, lauric acid, turmeric, cinnamon, raw honey and ginger.
This is basically just a mushroom variation of my Golden Milk Recipe. Golden milk itself is quite supportive to the immune system, but if you top it with medical mushrooms, the drink becomes an even more powerful guard against viruses, bacteria and even stress.
You can read more about medical mushrooms in my post here.
HOW TO EAT MEDICINAL MUSHROOMS
The best way to digest mushrooms is if they are cooked in some way. In this way, the beneficial substances in the mushroom become more bioavailable for the body.
These mushrooms are not particularly dominant in flavor, hence they are easy to add to both tea, coffee, soups and other hot drinks without disturbing taste.
The dosis of mushroom powder I put in my recipes are well below the doses, that I've noticed that other mushroom enthusiasts use in their recipes. Where many others use 1 tbsp I use 1 teaspoon. But it works for me his way. You can always add extra if you prefer or need.
As most mushrooms and herbs like to collaborate with other species, thus giving synergy effect, I've made a ready mix of four mushroom powders. I use about 1 tsp. of the mix daily in times of need.
* My mushroom mix:
WHERE CAN YOU BUY MEDICAL MUSHROOMS?
Apart from Shiitake, these mushrooms are a bit hard to find in Denmark - even in powdered form.
I prefer my mushrooms in powdered form, as they're easy to store and fit into my daily diet, and it's also in that form that you get the most of their beneficial substances.
For the time being, I have only been able to find the Chaga in Denmark.
Homemade Coconut Milk
Unless you buy the ready made coconut milk, you'll have to start by making this delicious homemade version.
- 4 cups of water
- 1.5-2 cups of unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Heat water, but don't boil. It should be hot, but not scalding.
- Put coconut in blender or Vitamix and add water. (If all water won't fit, you can add the water in two batches.)
- Blend on high for several minutes until thick and creamy.
- Pour through a mesh colander first to get most of the coconut out, and then squeeze through a towel or several thicknesses of cheesecloth to get remaining pieces of coconut out.
If you have to split the water, put all the coconut that you strained out back in the blender, add the remaining water, and repeat.
Drink immediately or store in the fridge.
Should be used in 2-3 days
Golden Milk shroom Recipe
- 3 cups of homemade coconut milk (or buy bpa free here). Alternatively try it with Almond milk
- 1 tsp. of your preferred mushroom powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (organic genuine if you can get it)
- Pinch of black pepper
- 3/4 inch fresh, peeled ginger root (chopped or grated)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Blend the first six ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Pour into a small saucepan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Add in the honey